Friday, October 10, 2008

Haunting Wax Heads & Dolls

I've long had a facination with wax figures and dolls.
I find them Haunting, Magical, and Mysterious..... Maybe it was that first trip to Madame Tussaud's, down a foggy London street when I was 16. I've been fortunate enough to collect a few wax heads. The head in front is a wax museum head of Shirley Temple, and my most favorite one is the head in back. A young Betty Davis when she first started out acting. She has glass eyes, porcelian teeth and inserted human hair. I got her from Crystal at Gothic Rose Antiques and curiosities. A most Spooktacular place for all things unusual! If you love Victorian gothic and the macabre check her out! You won't be dissapointed!
The other small head I think must have been a department store display from the 20's A treasure found on ebay.

Another wax head from a wax museum with inserted human hair eyebrows. This poor guy's lost part of his face. I've slowly been cleaning and repairing him He thinks he's Napolean, and I have't had the heart to tell him any different!
From France I have two domed wax christ babes with inserted human hair. Probably late 1800's. It's rare to find the original domes still intact.

A collection of my wax dolls (except for the one on the left). 1880's mostly from England.

I've been playing around with creating wax dolls, and at some point want to create a wax fairy. I think that would be the perfect medium for a fairy..Haunting, translucent, and mysterious!

Dark Blessings, Gail

6 comments:

Teapot said...

Thanks for taking a look at our blog and the store. Ava gets it from somewhere...who knows, I think its more my dad :)

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

WOW!! Those are amazing Gail! I have never seen a wax doll in person:( II am sure they are evn more incredible then they are in the photos. Thanks for sharing them!!

Hugs

jacqui

Mo'a said...

Welcome to bloglandia :)
I remember you talking about your wax dolls when we were in Hawaii.
I have been enjoying your posts.
I will add you to my blog roll.

Jake said...

Have you ever tried translucent resin and pigment? I've seen some really nice things done with that.

http://www.caseylovedesigns.com/Translucent.htm

He gets some really great skin going there using it.

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I stumbled over here via Beth's (Strangedoll) blog, and I'm glad I did....wonderful eyecandy!

Gothic Rose Antiques said...

Hi Gail,
It was so nice to see Bette again, I miss her but I see she is quite comfy in her new home with friends! Thanks for the link to my blog....
The black spiderweb is on my site in the decor section at $5 a bag, one bag can do a whole room and it looks very realistic...Hope you are having a great October, I love this month! Finally no more suffering thru summer sun and heat....
Crystal